In this two part tutorial, we shall explore and evaluate the true potential of the questionnaires in AX2012. Even though Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 offers a wide variety of mainstream features in relevant modules apt for a tier one ERP solution; some little known features can help you explore the little nooks and crannies that will make your life a little easier. One such feature is questionnaires in Dynamics AX 2012.
Questionnaires are not lengthy pages of questions that your user will have to fill out. Rather, small checklists, one off questions, evaluations, and even scripts for standardized attendance towards service can be made part of, and through questionnaires. Literally anything can be set up in this tiny function:
- Evaluation of a course attended by trainees
- Employee performance appraisals
- Employee satisfaction surveys
- Customer surveys
- Vendor evaluation or assessment questionnaire
When designing a questionnaire, some key elements required include:
- The type of questionnaire for the question – the area where this question will be used (such as employee evaluation, procurement, etc.) – questions and questionnaires are set up separately and then combined before distribution
- Input Type: the type of input such as integer– questions and questionnaires are set up separately and then combined before distribution
- Answer Groups: Answer groups are the groups based on which questions can be answered
- Instruction: You can guide your user to fill out questionnaires according to some specific instructions (example: script for the person who provides troubleshooting service on phone)
- Media Type: type of media that can be attached the question
- Rights: You can restrict the questionnaire to a particular group of people (Employees, Contacts – Vendor or Customer, Applicants).
Based on the results gathered, statistics can be calculated and you can generate reports for the answers received on the questionnaires.
This was a little overview on how questionnaires function in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. In the next blog post, we shall evaluate a little scenario where the Sales Department fills out a questionnaire for customer evaluation.
This scenario includes the following elements:
- New Customer Opening Request
- Sales Department generates request
- Sales Department fills out questionnaire
- Finance Department evaluates request and questionnaire before opening new customer.
We shall only see the questionnaire part of the above scenario.